• Cook to order - Plate of rice, no chicken !

    For a while now, I resisted cooking different food for each person in my family. I was determined to cook one meal and call it a day. So I found the things that everyone can eat and cook them as many different ways I can.
    Well few weeks ago, it became official, I am sorry to say chicken is off that list of things every one can eat.
    Well what did the chicken do? you ask!
    It made my lovely daughter stomach hurt (:-(
    She has food sensitivity to chicken.

    How do I know?
    1. Each time she eats it, she will run to the couch, holding her stomach and she did not need to say that her stomach was hurting her, I could see it.
    2. She did a food sensitivity test at the GI and it came out positive
    3. However, when the allergist did the test it came out negative.
    So I said, well, she is not allergic to it since it is the common thing we can all eat and keep it and watch her closely.
    4. It was clear that the chicken was hurting her, so I took her back to the GI and she explained to me that the test that she gave her was totally different than the test the allergist did. Apparently, the tests were different and they target different things in the body. As a result one tests sensitivity and the other anaphylactic reaction. I wish I remember all the details, it was a while ago, but maybe you can Google it.

    So we took chicken off the table...for her. Like with everything else, I remove it for two weeks, then reintroduced it and yes, no more chicken for her (:-). The GI said, for at least for a year...then she will be rechecked.

    So what do we do now. 
    When I cook chicken, I usually give her sardine, tuna, or salmon burger. However, I have to be careful because she had selfish allergy.
    I also cook more beef now. With beef, you have to be careful, you can only eat a little bit at a time. It takes a really long time ( I think at least 3 days ) to digest. I try to cook it to the point where it is just falling apart (slow and over cooked, soft).

    I am really looking forward to the day that she would not have this problem. I would love to ban chicken from my house for her sake, but then, everyone else, including will not be happy with that. However, it does breaks my heart when she is looking at it and I know that she wants it, and she knows that she can not.
    The chicken stays, for the sake of the others....and the journey continues. And I am doing what I did not want to do, serve different food to the members of my family. Oh well, it could be worse.

0 comments:

Post a Comment