• Gluten Free Flour

    These are the flour that I use for baking or cooking

    Teff Flour:  Is a very rich flour high in iron and other nutrients. In baking, I found it to give a nice chewy and pastry like texture. It is a heavy flour as well, so a little goes a long way. I found that it could be hard on the digestion (depending on your issue). What I am going to try to do from now on, is to use my gluten free mix and then add a half to a full cup of teff flour depending on what I am baking. Waffles, bread, pancake may be more, while cookies for example might be less...again depending on what I am going for.
    Click here to learn more about Teff Flour.



    Rice Flour: I use brown rice and sweet rice flour, depending on what I am baking. Sweet rice flour is more sticky and gooey.  Brown rice is more nutritious, higher in iron and magnesium and of course it is whole grain. I mix it in my gluten free mix for most of my baking. If you want to know more about brown and white rice flour click here : rice flour.


    Tapioca Flour/Tapioca Starch: While searching online I found that tapioca flour and tapioca starch are sometime interchangeable. I use the starch to make my own baking powder since the  store bought baking powder has corn starch in it and we have a corn allergy in the house. I used to use more of the tapioca flour in my gluten free mix but lately I have been cutting back. My son does not seem to take other form of the tapioca itself i.e. the root or the (pearl) home made tapioca pudding. So just like in the case of the coconut, I decided to cut back on that. So instead I use Arrowroot Flour. So far so good, but then again, with these things I am never too sure, but time will surely tell.




    Arrowroot Flour: Like mentioned before this is what I use for starch now in my baking. It seems to work just fine, combined with Sorghun and Rice flour. To learn more about it's nutritional value please click here.






    Sorghum Flour: Is the main flour I currently use in my mix. It does everything well, pancakes, cookies, topping on apple crisp and so on. It is rich in protein and iron which is something we really need here with our highly restrictive diet. For it's nutritional value click here.




    Last but not least Baking Soda, we all know that one, and Flaxseed Meal. Flaxseed meal is high in protein and fiber. I use it as an egg replacer. Two table spoon with 1/4 of warm water. Well, I don't think baking soda has any nutritional value, but see for your self.

3 comments:

  1. Yiyin Ho said...

    The people online seem to really prefer Authentic Food Rice Flours over Bob's for baking:

    http://www.amazon.com/Authentic-Foods-Brown-Flour-Superfine/dp/B00021639Y

    People say their baked goods get more rise and are less heavy/dense with this brand, especially when they are not using eggs in their baking. You should try it out! :-)

  2. Adzele said...

    oh thank you, thank you. I am having problem trying to bake bread without yeast. This will probably help a lot. I will be placing orders this weekend.
    thanks again.

  3. Sifted Heart said...

    Col Thanks !

Post a Comment